Saturday, March 24, 2018

100% Scrap Quilt

   


     A few years ago I fell in love with scrap quilting, mostly because I hate waste.  My issue though was my obsession with making things match.  As I have progressed in the world of quilting, the ability to let go in scrap quilts and allow them to form has become easier.  I have had to learn to separate my quilting into two forms, the beautiful matching blended creation and the random scrap quilt.   Since one of my goals AGAIN this year is to use up my ever building pile of scraps, the
Project Quilting Challenge fits me well.

     When I saw the challenge this week, I went thru my Pinterest Boards looking for a project I
could finish in a week.  I came across a blog called Heather Hales Designs where she change up a quilt called “Potluck” designed by Orange You Glad by adding another row of white.  I loved how the extra row made the diamond center really stand out.  I do though think I may make the original one day soon with more scraps.  So to pulling scraps and cutting I went.
     I decided to use the smaller scraps I had of fabric with designs. These pieces were of varied
shapes and sizes from several projects, along with some that were given to me. It took most of one of my days off, but all the 3.5 inch squares were cut out of scraps.  The White ones took forever and
ever I felt like.  I have been using the same bolt of white on white fabric for at least 3 years and was able to make them all out of the same fabric and still have plenty left…….
     The next step was laying them out. This took forever and ever but it looked good in the end.  Yes, a very random unmatched quilt. Then the sewing of the never ending rows commenced.  I actually felt like this bored me a bit.  Kinda an odd feeling, but maybe because I love the reward of finishing blocks and no reward came until the end of this quilt.  It’s not as stunning as a quilt made out of coordinating fabric, but it sure is a “Potluck” of a mix. 
     The backing is pieced out of bigger pieces out of my scrap bin. Yep, thinning the pile, but
you can barely tell. Actually my first back ever this scrappy.  To top it off I even pieced the batting,
helping to make this quilt 100% scrappy.
      I free motion
quilted the quilted it in a hurry.  My
regret, because it does not look as good as it should, but it is done.  And a little bunchy in the back.  I hate this. My goal for trying to do better
next time.  Then a finish with scrap
binding left over from other quilts.
Yep, totally scraptastic! 
     The quilt
finished at 63 x 57.  Big enough for the
scrap challenge also.  Really a big
project that did not take too ng to make after the cutting.  Have a few people that I need to send a quilt
to.  Maybe one of them can be blessed
with this!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your post. It may be old to you, but this quilter found it via pinterest...so in a quilting way of thinking...what is old is new...THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete