Sunday, January 9, 2022

Scrappy Martha Stillness

    

 Another year of Project Quilting has begun. This time, unfortunately it started with a week off work with Covid.  But that’s another story. So the Challenge this week is “All The Colors”.  With a little extra time, I knew I could make a full size quilt. 



After a few minutes of thinking and the scrap cleaning mood I was in.  I knew what I was going to make. A few weeks ago I committed to pattern test a quilt for a friend. She used yardage, but my new idea used simple scraps. Her pattern called Martha’s Stilness is an Accuquilt friendly pattern by Beaquilter. So off to pulling abd cutting I went. 



Each pinwheel block inside the stars are a lighter color.  The Darker print is the star. So I pulled out each color scrap bin and cut the blocks out to make 12 sets. This process actually went by very quickly.  The slow process was cutting all the scraps up for the background.  I sadly have too many scraps and lots of small pieces.  The Accuquilt makes these go by quickly. I only used the most of 3 extra big pieces. Yep, the clean out felt good. 



Then I chain pieces all the blocks. The pattern went together super quick.  Part of the reason I reason I love Beaquilter patterns. The entire top went together quick. Then I laid it out to pin…, Well then I found an error. 



  So it sat for 2 day, I wasn’t feeling good and did not feel like touching it.  Last night I decided it was time to take it out and finish it. So I stayed up late, unstitched, rest itches and quilted away. Forever. 



    Trish, the theme lady for Project Quilting, showed her work with Rainbow thread for quilting.  I bought a spool of Aurifil last year on clearance and knew it would be perfect. I straight line stitched the outline of all the stars. Then did swirls in all the white.



Then I knew the stars needed something to tack them down.  I came back and did loops abd swirls in the white anc black in the star rows. This quilting took a bit. But turned out alright.  Not too sure on the loops. 



I took a poll of friends and binded it in black. Again. All scraps!! Making this quilt 100% scrap. And yep, didn’t change the thread and quilted across in the rainbow. 




The backing is almost the end of a large piece I was given a while back. I love using discount, thrifted on given pieces as the backing.  And of course the green on the back, I also used on the front with scraps!! 
Put another Sweetwater label on the back and yep, this is a finish.  I already decided it’s a goodbye gift for a coworker who is transferring!  

Here is a link to Beaquilter patterns.  We have bounced off each other for about 10 years. Her patterns cut out with Accuquilt Quickly and go together Quickly! 

     

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! And glad I could inspire- honestly I was having my own confidence crisis at that point, so glad good things came for us both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great quilt! Colorful and scrappy. My favorite!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous! You always blow me away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks awesome!! Thanks for catching the BIG mistake in the pattern :)

    ReplyDelete