Sunday, February 9, 2020

It’s Full of Hearts!!!


   The time during Project Quilting Season is my most productive time of year.  I feel like under a deadline I finish so much more! Might be a lot of the reason I like participating every year!! This weeks challenge is to put a heart in it.


     Of course with it being my work weekend when the challenge starts, I have plenty of time to think of what I might do.  Immediately after the naming of the challenge, I thought of a layer cake I had at home.  I thought there might be hearts in it.  I really wanted to use it. Some person I bout it from in a group took the wrap off  to ship it, so it just didn’t fit in my cabinet well.  


     From there I googled heart pattern quilts.  I just didn’t want any plain one.  I finally came across one from Missouri star that just had subtle hearts in it!  Using the layer cake and would work out just right!! The name is Happy Hearts.  It uses 25 of the 42 squares in the pack.  Trying to mostly use all of the darker to medium fabric.


      The blocks went together quickly,  spread out in 5 days along with working over 50 hours.  Laying them out was a little more difficult,  but I think turned out awesome! There are definitely 4 hearts hidden into the design.

     I made the white border a little wider then what the pattern called for.  I then used the leftover squares to piece together an outer border by cutting them in half.  This quilt finishes at 75x75. Yep, huge.  My goal is usually very functional!!


     The backing ended up not being the one I wanted, but the best option in a hurry.  I ironed it and sandwiched the quilt at midnight.  To get up early to FMQ.


     I put the last set of hearts in the white of the FMQ, with all the white sections having a grouping of echo hearts!


     The binding I used an old pink/red fabric out of my stash to go with the heart theme!  This quilt will likely go to a friend who is battling cancer that I am yet to give one too!

     Yep, I took my photos laying on the dirt on my dirt road.  A place I love.  The place that helped build me!! All in the name of the month of love!

   

3 comments:

  1. That looks like a really BIG quilt to have completed in a week! Congrats on using up some stash fabric and finding just the right tutorial. Well done!

    ReplyDelete