Sunday, September 2, 2012

My Oldest Sister

My oldest sister as I call her, is not my real sister, but for the last 22 years, she has adopted me as hers and treated me like blood since day one. She puts me in my place and tells me when I am wrong. She has helped to foster me into the women I am now. She has inspired me.
Joy had her kids young like me. Worked to take care of her family and then worked hard to return to school and become a nurse. When I went back to nursing school, I told myself, if Joy could do it with 3 boys, I could do it with 2. She has led me in many direction and not even known it!

A year ago, Joy, a woman in her 40s was inducted as a chief in the navy. Not a small fight for her, but well deserved! She literally had to step threw Hell to get there, but with her belief that no one could get her down, she made it!
I guess another reason I am so proud of her, is I came from a big military family and thought that one say I would join the Coast Guard but didn't. I would love for our military roots to carry on.
So back to the reason for my post, when Joy went to become chief, one of the things she had to do was to cover this book so that all these things could be written in it. I was so excited when she asked me to do it, and took such pride in doing it!
This week she returned to my house with the same projects to do for 2 of her friends. She was so excited that these 2 friends had come along so Ugarit and she wanted to be part of it. The joy that Joy always gets in helping others. She always thinks 1st of everyone else and second of herself. The one thing I aspire to do.

So I spent 2 nights sewing up book sleeves all just to see the smile on her face, not for money, but to repay her for just being Joy!! I could never thank her enough for what she has done in my life!

Here is the first one I made her and a set of all! I love the black one, made of the old uniform top. I left it where the flap is still flapping!

No comments:

Post a Comment