Monday, August 25, 2014

Red and White Quilts "aka stain catcher"

    I never finish my Project Quilt challenges early.  I am always one who does well with the time constraint.  Most people who know me, know I work lots of long hours.  Lately I wish I did not, but it's worked out for my family.  So,  the August challenge of a red and white quilt is done and now ready for the September Challenge while I work a week of 5, 12 hour shifts. 

     I actually had time this week to read up on Red and White Quilts and where the popularity came from.  They actually have been in style since the 1800's.   They came about from the Turkish Red fabric made only in Turkey.  The same red they used for their majestic Rugs.   At first the quilts were made green and red, but the red held it's brilliance while the the green faded.  The fad of red and white then began!  Over time,  red was made in America,  but it was not as bright as the Turkish and still faded.  The fad of the bright red and bleach muslin continued till the 1920s.  In the last 20 years the red and white quilt concept returned again with the help of some red and white quilt shows. 

     In the begining of this month, I saw a blog post from Moda.  It was on a tutorial for the "Boho Patchwork Vintage Star Quilt".   I thought it would be just perfect for this challenge!!!  I am challenging myself not to buy fabric and use what I have.  So all of the fabric in this quilt is stash, except the white.   I did not have 3 yards of the same white to use.   I cut 5 inch squares of 9 different red and white fabrics.  I picked out a paisley white on white pattern fabric.  I had a piece of fabric I bought from another quilter just big enough for the back. 

     This quilt made of 14 inch squares was pretty easy to put together.  I have never made a big star quilt, but feel I found a new addiction!!  I cut fabric one day.  A few days later,  I pieced, sewed together,  quilted and bound it all in one day (a cure for a quilters depression!).  I think this may be given as a wedding present next month!!  

     I did a just basic curve design for my FMQ all the way across the quilt.  I staggered the width of the quilting.  Nothing set at a certain spacing.   It's not perfect but I learned some hand speed control with this and plan on doing the same with my next quilt in an attempt to master it.  I think quilting in the large is a little more difficult then quying in the small.  Oh, and I used white thread on the top and red on the back to allow the quilting to stand out more. 

     I love how this turned out!!!   I actually may end up doing a rainbow one like this soon!!    And this one is called a stain catcher by my son.  The first thing he said about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment