Sunday, March 6, 2016

Scrappy Strips

  

   I was so unsure of what to do this challenge.  I really wanted to go and dig out one of my boys pieces of Art, but I have had no time.  Truly barely enough time to do the challenge.  So Thursday night I pulled up the challenge link and an idea popped in my head.  I saw this piece and knew that I could make a scrap runner for my tall dresser.  Here is the photo I used.


https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-gpA1Hp3kau0/VsfhxnKJdHI/AAAAAAADEKo/I4m5QyZBMvE/s1600-h/IMG_5256%25255B6%25255D.jpg


     Out cam my scrap batik box and a bag of like fabric I collected from friends at a retreat 2 years ago.  I had previously cut pieces in 4 and 3.5 inch strips.  I sewed these strips together into 2 long rows.  I then cut the rows into 16.5 inch strips.




     I used a backing piece of old fabric as the base.  I sewed two pieces of batik strips on each side to make the lines on the outside.  These strips were uneven and I left them that way.  The art work lines were uneven also. 


    I then kept building until the piece was 28 inches. I sandwiched the quilt to do a reverse finished edge.  I sewed around the outside leaving an area to flip.


    I then flipped the piece inside out and sewed the edges to keep them pressed down.  I  FMQ it in an all over doodle like a child.  I made lots of circles and just swirled around.  I became upset though because the tension spring on my machine broke during this process. 



    My life has been an up and down roller coaster during the last few months.  This is the first thing I have stitched on my sewing machine in the 3 weeks I have been in my new house.  I am praying that I will have many more successful adventures in my sewing room once I get it set up!



No comments:

Post a Comment