Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Big Pile of Jeans



I honestly sleep under a Jean quilt every night,  as in I can’t go to sleep without one. I soo love the weight and the feel. If ones not around, I usually feel like I’m freezing.  So here is my second one of the year already!!



This one is made out of long strips of Jean pants legs. When I get given a pair,  I cut the top off, and all the bulk from the seams and hems.  The remainder folds up to be put away for use well.  



 For about a year now, every time I cut up a pair of jeans, I made a rectangle out of the length and width.  My widest ruler is 8.5 inches by 24.5 inches long  This allows me to get wide cuts and not too long. The boys jeans of course are narrow and my brothers the widest. Most 5 to 8.5 inches in width.   



Each time I had a strip cut the same width as another, I would sew them together and roll them up. When I had several of these rolls, the sewing of the rows. Began.  I laid the first 2 across my king size bed to decide on my quilt width. Then I kept sewing strips until I had enough to cover the top of the bed! 



The backing fabrics are 2 Jason Yenter materials that I was able to snag on clearance at Asheville Cotton Company for a good deal.  The colors matched the jeans really well and I loved the big flowers.  One cut in 1/2 made the top and bottom, the other I placed in the middle.  The smaller print, I used as the binding. 



I did add a layer of batting.  Only because I love the thickness and weight.  I used flannel once in the middle of a Jean quilt and it’s still my favorite. Yo quilt it,  I just used straight lines at the seams. 



This is by far the largest quilt I have ever made, measuring in at 114x94


I be sandwiched, quilted and bond this quilt At Luthridge.  Hence the photos!! Now, it’s time to enjoy!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment