Saturday, April 3, 2021

Overcoming A Challenge in Quilting



The sewing and quilting group that I am part of  did charity blocks last year.  After that, a few of us came together and sewed the blocks into tops.  



This one was sewn up by another member, who did not have time to quilt it.  Do you know me, I will just add it to the stack and try to get it done. 



Well,  I held onto it for like 2 months, why? Well, I laid it out and realized how crooked and wavy the borders were.  Then realized the entire quilt was uneven.  These items are usually the hardest to quilt and honestly a pain in the behind.  So there started the procrastination. Well, I gave myself until March 31, so I picked this up on March 30, pulled it out as much as I could and sandwiched it up.  The quilting began.  



So the lesson of this quilt,  starts with starting in the center and quilting out.  This helps to either flatten the uneven areas or to let them grow to the edges. Use a simple design like a meander or loop meander.  Doing this let’s you use the stitches to hide puckers.  



My other secret is to do a switchback in the outer boarder to make ticks.  This allows the quilt to lay flat.  Then cut off areas of the boarder that will be overly wavy. 


So, even if a quilt is not perfect and might be a pain to finish, it still can be done! Patience a s time or deadlines are what I need.  What is it for you? Took these photos in a pretty field on the way to work! Love the green and the Wisteria in the trees!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment