Saturday, November 23, 2013

You Can't Find Good Neighbors Anymore

      Today we celebrate my neighbors 75th Birthday. Mrs Sarah Wadford has been our neighbor for a few years.  Her and her children have become family to us.  My boys call her Ma Ma.  She treats them as if they are her grands. They impose themselves on holidays and think they belong at her house for Sunday Dinners.  I could never ask for a better neighbor.  Not to mention the rest of her family.  My boys really do think sometimes they are Wadford's!!  And I don't mind.  My neighbors have taught them so many morals!!    

     Here is a picture of her and her cake that her daughter Amne made!  Anne is one of the most genuine people I know and I not only have her as a neighbor, but also as a coworker!!

     And here is her daughter in law Julie.  She is truly my kids second Mom!!!  Anne did such a good job on this cake!!!

     Here Mrs Sarah is opening up her quilt!! Love the gift of giving!!!

 And a photo of the backing.  I had a goal  of buying nothing for my scrappy quilts.  I want to try to do 6 in 2014.  Clean out all my old and leftover fabric!!

     I have been saving all of my scrap fabric for about 2 years.   All the leftovers from my dresses and outfits and quilts.  I just kept putting them in a bin.  When the bin filled up,  I cut blocks out in sizes between 2 inches and 6 inches.  I saved the strings and a the odd shaped scraps to make this. 

     I saw a tutorial on Bonnie Hunters Quiltville blog on string quilts and I knew older people know the value of scraps.  So I knew that this would be perfect for Mrs Sarah.  So I cut 6 1/2 inch squares out of wax and parchment paper.  It's just what I had and built off of that. For the last month I sewed a few blocks a day when I had time.  I used my 1/4 inch foot.  Then I did a marathon finish this week.  80 blocks in the quilt with at least 10 different fabrics in each. I did not use any plan in sewing them colorwise. I squared all the blocks off and made 6 inch squares.  I pulled the paper off the back.  Be careful when you do this, they tend to try and come apart.  I sewed them together using a 1/2 inch foot.  That way all the looser sides were secured.

    I used a diamond pattern in the center that went out to make a larger diamond image. I made it 8 blocks wide and 10 tall.  When I sewed all the blocks together I gave my son and husband a choice of colored boarders and they chose the yellow.  The boarders are 3 1/2 inches finished.  I decided that since Mrs Sarah use to work in the cafeterias at the St Stephen schools and their colors or yellow and blue I would use blue thread to free motion quilt it.  I FMQ the quilt in a diamond patterns in a continuous diamond starting in the center. 

     I backed it in some fabric I bought for cheap in bulk from another quilter.  I binded it in a bunch of scrappy binding that was made of leftovers. I machine sewed the binding down.  I put a cute limbed pattern on the binding.  I hand sewed down a label on the back. This is a new thing I am doing.  I am using a lettering thing on my machine to write a small note 

     I will do a few things different when I do it again, but I am excited to get started on my next scrap quilt!  I used the old tractor as a back drop! Think I might also find some new objects to use as photo props!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment