Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Scrap Hexie Flowers


     A few months ago I joined a new Facebook group called "quilt by Hand".  This group is for all skill levels to learn and share about hand quilting methods. 


     Each month the group has a new challenge.  This month the Challenge was to try something new!!  After last months Challenge I had a good bit of scraps left.  I knew just what to do!!  Hard to believe, but I have never done a Hexie only piece.

     For Christmas I received a Hexie punch by Fiskar.  The punch makes 1 1/2 inch inch sided Hexies out of whatever material you punch them.  I literally use my junk mail and office supply trash.  


     Since I had a month worth of pieces all I needed was a plan.  Of course I went to Pinterest!  I saw these Hexie flowers with little embroidery flowers inside.  I thought this would be a good project!!


     Then I cut out and glues my fabric onto the Hexies.  No fussy cutting this time,  I was using scraps.  


     I then put the Hexies up to the White material and decided that it wasn't going to work.  I auditioned black and yellow Yenter blender fabric next.  With my friend Tonya, I decided to do yellow centers! 


     All of the scraps came from only 2 pieces of fabric.  I separated out the ones with like color or patterns.  I then separated them into groups of the 6 pieces that were most alike.  Bagged them up and commenced to sewing Hexies.  


     There ended up being 16 Hexie flowers.  I tried to lay them out in different ways.  In the end I only liked a big triangle and or a diamond shape. After playing with the layout I decided I liked the diamond best.


     I have sewed lots of Ahhhhs and have only sewed a few together. Sewing batches of Hexies really still seems odd. I feel like I am always crushing a piece. 
  

    This is my first top using only Hexies.  The colors blend a little too much maybe,  but I love how this has turned out using just scraps!!!

     

2 comments:

  1. it looks great. If you start by going around the center all 6 sides, then remove the center cardstock, you won't crush the pieces, leave the flaps hanging until you sew the flowers together and have a plan for them, then act like one petal is the center and starting by the center, go around again and again remove pieces as you go. looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bea, I was taking them out as I went. I think it was more that I am use to the straight lines of the Ahhhh's. When sewing big pieces together.

      Delete