I first started this challenge thinking I was going to make an ISPY quilt. Then as I went threw the charm squares I had packed away, I decided to to use a pile of blue floral fabric as my base.
I won this pile of charms about 2 years ago. I knew it wasn't my style so I couldn't decide what to use with it. So it went in my Charm square drawer, where it sat till now. I had 54 of them.
I then started to ponder what to do with them. In the same stay I found the squares were white and blue squares that looked good with it!! I had to cut more, but that was fine!! I only had the exact number I needed for the quilt. I found a few more charm squares of dark blue and white. My decision was made!! I went to my stash and found a country blue I knew would be perfect! Then as I was looking I also found a scrap of white with Blue dots. The 4 fabrics blended with the floral well!!
While I was choosing fabric, my thought went to a pattern I bought from the blogger that hosts project quilt. I knew then it would be the perfect one to alter to fit this challenge!! It is called Spinning Nines. I am really wanting to do the pattern in batiks, but this will do for now!!
To make the quilt, you must first sew the desired amount of nine patches together. I decided to make 4 rows of three blocks. Every other row had a rotation of the layout. This used up everyone of my floral blocks.
The Next step was very easy. I cut the blocks in an "X", from corner to corner.
I rotated the blocks so that there was a random layout of diamonds around the quilt. Some of the floral kept appearing next to each other but I just let it. For a few I tried uniformity, but then realized it did not work.
After sewing 4 triangles together to form new blocks I sewed the quilt into rows. Then all together.
The quilt seemed small and I still had extra charms. So I cut them in half and made a 2 inch border for the quilt. The quilt ended up being 42x54.
I used the country blue as the binding.
For the backing, I did not like any of my normal yardage. As I dug threw my bigger pieces, I found a bigger piece of green from the same error. When I put it up to the blues, it looked just right!!
I am still watching a section of Leah Days FMQ video every time I make a quilt. The lesson I watched for this was a 3 loop clover/flower with stippling. It took me till I was almost done to really get the feel of this. I do love how it turned out. They are not perfect, but it works!!
The hardest part and the step I need to learn more about was sewing the triangles back together. The center ended up with humps from the 4 points. I guess this will be my next lesson to teach myself!!
I hope you enjoyed this season of Project Quilt as much as me. I always enjoy the adventure and the challenge to try something new!! Best of all, I completed all the projects again this year just using my stash!!
Sadly, this quilt is going to Mrs Doris from the little hospital I work at. She is the newest victim of the dreamed word cancer.