Sunday, January 10, 2021

Gray Anchors in the Waves



I get so excited for Peoject Quilting to start.  Mostly because I love a Challenge!! And the challenge of this, means that I finish a project!! The first weeks challenge is the Pantone color of the year or a Gray and yellow quilt.  Hmm,  I don’t have much of those 2 colors.  


I have a need to make a few baby quilts.  So I started by pulling out the fabrics that had both gray and yellow in them. I laid them on the kitchen table and couldn’t decide.  So Frankie walked thru and decided!! Sometimes you need the second person.  



I then went in the room and found the rest of a charm pack I had left to match the fabric.  It’s called Lakeside Gathering by Moda, a 2015 collection. I then did some playing and found a scrap gray that went with it well. 


So I commenced to cutting.  The gray was the leftover of some backing fabric. So I had to make multiple cuts to make it work.  I decided to go easy since I had a busy week and getting over Covid. I just did a plain pinwheel quilt. 



I alternated the gray and yellow with the leftover charm pack squares. Then I laid them out randomly in the quilt. 



To add some size,  I added a thin 1 inch finished border of gray. Then a 4 inch outer border in the yellow. 



I quilted it using the walking foot with Wavy random lines to appear to be like waves. Just a simple touch. Then a straight line in the gray border and then back to the waves in the outer. 



I backed it with a pieces backing of the leftover yellow and gray. Then did the binding with the last of the gray.



I keep forgetting to put labels on my quilts, so I picked one of my 2021 new Sweetwater ones and ironed and sewed it down.  



Challenge 1 done!! On to the next.  And one of my goals this year is to label my quilts.  So this one has the year!! Perfect way to start it off! 



The photos are taken at Russellville Boat landing.  We are having historically low lake levels.  So with the name of the fabric line and living right off the lake.  We have the perfect location!!


5 comments:

  1. Oh, those sweet little anchors!! Congratulations on finishing your quilt up in just one week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice πŸ’›πŸ’›πŸ–€πŸ’›πŸ’›
    What is the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t use a pattern. Honestly, I usually don’t. I think of an inspiration and lay the blocks out to fit. Then build off of that

      Delete
  3. This is beautiful and very nicely done within a one-week time frame. Believe it or not, my "anchor" mini is made using the same fabric, Lakeside Gathering. Love the Sweetwater labels, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt and beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete