Friday, March 10, 2017

Savannah Night 2, The Pirate House and Ghost Tour

     


     After Quiltcon I rode the ferry back across.  Right above the Ferry dock was the restaurant "The Pirate House".  My sister and I already mentioned trying the place, so it was perfect!  We walked in and because we were early, we were seated with no reservations!


     We were seated in a little room at the side of the building, the room only had 3 small tables and it felt intimate.   The walls and ceiling appeared to be part of the original building structure.  If you know me, I love old!  As I took a walk to the bathroom, I enjoyed looking at the rest of the building.  It appeared that most of the building was left in its original state with the buildings all being connected with doorways.  The nice bathroom was the most updated part.


     Our waiters name was Terry, I thought that was very interesting!  On his recommendation, I ordered the pecan crusted fried chicken with a baked potato and green beans.  I never ate the potato, because there was soooo much on my plate already.  The chicken was actually a half a chicken.  It might be the best fried chicken I have ever had in my life!!  The skinny green beans were amazing!


     Terry also brought us some corn bread and biscuits.  There was orange marmalade made by Dickinson's.  Yes, I had to ask, it was amazing!! And the biscuits were just as amazing!


     Amanda Ordered the Strawberry Spinach Pecan salad and Shrimp Hors d'oeurve.  The shrimp was enough to eat as a meal and Amanda said all of her food was amazing!


     We each ordered one of the specialty drinks on the menu.  Each came with a commemorative cup. Mine was a neat pirate mug!  I am going to put in my sewing room as a trip memory, you know another gadget holder.


     On the first night we learned that you can legally drink and walk the streets of Savannah.  So we took the rest of our drink to go!!  We then took a sort walk to our car to drop some stuff off.


This is the resident Pirate at the Pirate House restaurant who can give you a tour and education of Savannah.  Enjoyed my talk with him and found out that his wife was a quilter, who hand sewed his outfit!!


When we left we wandered to a store my sister visited earlier!! She remembered me mention my love for Cinnaman popcorn.  We say a store that made gourmet popcorn called Savannah Rae's!!  She already bought one bag.  When I entered, I was in hog heaven.  They gave free samples, and I tried and tried!  Then of course I bought.  The Thin mint and Samoa's girl scout cookies flavored popcorn were awesome!!


     My sister had arranged for another Ghost tour.  After a break in the park for a while we met the tour guide  for Ghost Talk Ghost Walk Tour in the square.  He looked very sketchy, but once he started talking,  We were along for the tour!


     We went for a short walk around the historic district.  We stopped at several buildings and homes where he told the history.  Not just of ghosts, but of the history of Savannah.


Behind this brick wall was where what is said to be the most haunted house in Savannah originally sat.  He told the story of the property, 


This is the house that is said to be the most haunted house in Savannah.  The owners were so tired of tour guides and local trolley companies stopping in front of their house that they had a law passed by the city counsel that tour groups can not pass on the street in front of their home, but forgot to include the alley in the back!


This house had its own crazy tail, but what stuck out the most is the old architecture mixed with an 80's brick wall bottom. The odd shaped windows told of the tales of trying to keep away ghosts while leaving you wondering what the house would look like if it was brought back to its original facade.


The old orphanage where 2 kids once died in a fire.  The people outside thought that a man they saw in the window was saving the kids.  But no man was ever seen leaving the house.


This is a local property that is rented.  It has its own ghost story and a light is at times seen passing thru.  It was left to a slave as part of a promise.


The neighboring house o the same property.  The tour guide told us about Haunt Blue and the belief of the slaves that it repelled spirits.  The slaves of Savannah practiced a religion called Hoodoo.  I of course had to look this up.  


For people like me, who had to take a break during the walk,  the guide gave you several places to sit and listen.  I of course loved the fountain and threw in some change while making a wish.


Yes, you will see a lot of photos about this house.  It was built by the man who owned the local steel factory.


The house except for the glass in the windows and wood doors is made of only brick and iron/steel.


 The Kehoe house was built after the Savannah fire of 1820.  At that time the fire engulfed most of the city and a lot of the homes and businesses in the historic district were lost.


In the years after the owners twins were playing in the chimneys of the home and died.  The owner then blocked up the chimneys and covered them with angels.


I loved the doors!  In its time it has been used as a mortuary, gentlemen's club and now a bed & breakfast.



 I of course used it as a place to take a break.  I honestly love metal and loved the iron steps and all of the the cast railing.  You will not see a house with this unique of trim, especially in this time made out of the metal like this.


The doors,  Loved the little glass windows in the outer doors.  I wonder if one day I could talk Frankie into staying here!!


The house across the square.  The original Savannah Historical Society Home.


The owner of this home hates tour guides walking by.  Because of the ghost story and murder in her home she is known to chase people away from the outside that stop. 


This is the well known Inn and Restaurant 1790.  There is a story of a girl named Anne who became pregnant and the sailor she was in love with never returned. Supposedly if you stay in room 204 you will have a very haunted night.


The sides of this home had stars,  the stars looked like the earthquake support studs of the houses in Charleston.  I just had to take a picture.  I also like the story the guide told of how Savannah was laid out and designed by a Mason, like other cities.  The reasoning behind the sets of streets, parks and squares.  I think that a lot of these squares are what helps make Savannah the romantic city it is.


We then walked to Colonial Park Cemetery on the edge of the historic district.  We heard about how the union soldiers destroyed the graveyard while they stayed there during the war.  They destroyed stones and changed the dates on others.


The trees on the edge of the cemetery had these trees full of Spanish moss.  Interesting that I learned on this trip how the moss is actually known to kill the trees.


We then took the short walk back to the shopping district and heard the story of the Marshall House Hotel.  It was once used as a Union hospital. Guests have told many stories of seeing and hearing things while staying there.  There have been several guests who have awaken to bite marks and bruises.


Last stop for the night and against my diet was at Leopold's Ice Cream.  And you know its good if you look at the line.



They specialize in custard ice cream and have too many flavors to count from.


I chose a cookie sandwich.  When I got it, I had the wrong flavor in the middle.  It wasn't what I wanted, but tasted good.  I just hated to go back up to the busy guy at the counter to change my order.


The end of the night overlooked the Marshal House Hotel.  I was really tired and so ready to crawl in my hotel bed and go to sleep!








No comments:

Post a Comment