Monday, March 29, 2021

The Hanging Tomato Experiment


I’ve landed tomatoes in several locations the last few years.  We realized last year that the ones we placed in the planters and hanging baskets did well,  with little work to steak them.  So this year with Frankie’s help,  we read up a bit and are having a hanging tomatoes experiment!! 


Frankie started off with these metal buckets he found at a deal. 



He then cut a 3 inch hole in the bottom of each. Then sprayed it with some type of rust spray.  I know it’s a chemical, but I take the help that I can when he wants to help. 


He then put this rubber like tube on it so there are no cut fingers.  Yep, his idea.  




Then it’s time to put the tomatoes in. To keep the rootball from falling out, I put one in then some garden waste, aka old twigs from the winter garden. Then the other plant on top.  I then filled each pot up with equal soil and mushroom compost. 



There’s a variety of tomatoes hanging on the porch and a few in the rail planters.  I will update you in a month or so on how this is going!!  Getting excited already! 







No comments:

Post a Comment