Friday, March 26, 2021

Ultimate Beginner Quilt Finally Finished!!



Last year, I taught a group of beginning sewers this class!! They are now quilters!! We did it as a weekly block class.  So in normal Terry fashion,  I made one too, actually 2!!



This was actually a sew along I linked below that was put on by the Fat Quarter shop.  They did it in the fall of 2019 and we did it at the end of 2019. 




The class went along with a selection of videos that taught beginner hints and step by step piecing.  The perfect series for a quilting beginner.  I actually stepped back and learned a bit! 



In my quilt,  I used all batik scraps,  with the exception  of the inner sashing, but still it was a larger scrap. Even the outer border, binding and backing were scrap and leftover pieces! You know I love a scrappy quilt!! 



I made this quilt with 3 extra blocks.  2 of the blocks are versions of those already in the quilt and one a large 36 patch or if you want to say, four 9 patches. The other quilt was just a little too small to be functional for me. 



To quilt it,  I decided to step back into the class I signed up for in the beginning of 2020 before Covid.  Before mask making began.  I worked thru the program periodically thru the last year.  Now I really want to finish it before this year is out.  We will see! This is the perfect piece to jump start. 



I really got several motifs done in this quilt.  And I am hoping to repeat in the next 2 charity quilts I do.  As many of us know repetitive action build perfection.  Well maybe not perfection, but improved skills!



So here is the finished project.  Over a year in the making.  Another one off this years UFO list. Still, so many more too go! 




All of these photos were taken at a local monastery, Mepkin Abbey.  A beautiful place full of peace!! Look at the awesome natural wood carvings. 




No comments:

Post a Comment