Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Crockpot Enchilada Casserole

     We are a big family at work and eat together almost nightly(even though it's usually on the go).  Potluck somehow has helped us survive the nights where making it to the Cafeteria is unlikely.  Last night was an unplanned night and rightly chosen.  It happened to be one of those busy nights.  

     A few days ago I found a recipe for Quinoa Enchilada Casserole.  Since yesterday was Cinco De Mayo I decided it was the perfect night to treat my coworkers.   I googled Pinterest again and found several recipes with different ingredients.  I wanted to make mine for work in a crockpot so it would be warm when we had time to eat.  So here is the recipe I came up with:

Ingredients 

1 pound ground beef
1 onion
2 cans Rotel
2 cans corn
1 pack enchiladas seasoning
1 can enchiladas sauce 
1 can pinto beans 
1 can black beans
1 can chopped jalapeños
2 cups uncooked quinoa 
16 oz shredded cheese

1-cook meat and onions in saucepan.  Drain grease.

2- Drain Rotel, beans and corn.

3- Place all ingredients except cheese in the crockpot.

4- Cook on high for 3.5-4 hours.  

5- Place 1/2 of cheese on top.  Save the rest to replenish as casserole is eaten.  

    This can be served as is or with chopped avocados and tomatoes, sour cream or tortilla chips.  

     This was a hit at work.  The entire crockpot was gone!!   I have never cooked with quinoa and was looking for healthier meals.  This casserole turned out better then expected as a health food and will be made again!!

     Some of you may be wondering why I suddenly keep posting recipes.  Well, to be honest, it's the easiest way for me remember what recipes my family liked.  I am always doing something to change the originals and can never remember exactly what I did.  So here's my permanent solution!!



No comments:

Post a Comment